Friday, August 31, 2012

Sunday is my favorite day

Honestly before I came to BYU I thought that there would be nothing to do on Sundays and that I would be bored out of my mind all day, but this Sunday was so much fun. It was so great not to have any work to do, but I was busy all day. We have 9am church (yes we were late on the first Sunday we'll have to work on that). Church is so quiet with out any kids. Its so weird. After church I took a short nap, we had a hall meeting and then I went to Hayley's grandparents house for dinner. Two other girls from our hall Grace and Angel came too! Hayley's family is so nice, and I got to meet three of her cousins who are also going to BYU. 
Angel, Hayley, me, and Grace after Sunday dinner

After Sunday dinner we went to ward prayer. There were yummy snacks and we got to chat with other kids in our ward. There are 160 of us so its probably going to take me all Semester just to learn everyone's name. After ward prayer we went tunnel singing. Apparently its a tradition at BYU. Everyone gathers underneath the big tunnel near the Marriott Center and sings hymns. I guess tunnels have really good acoustics. There were literally hundreds of people underneath the tunnel and outside it. Near the end everyone sat down and each person who had recently received a  mission call had the opportunity to stand and announce to the group where they were going. Everyone clapped and cheered for each person who was going to serve a mission. It was amazing for me to see how much support there is for missionary work. After the missionaries were all done announcing their calls we sang  Called to Serve. It was an incredible experience. The best part is it happens every Sunday night!
This picture is kind of dark but to give you an idea of how many people there were I took it after a whole bunch had already left. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a great time out there. Keep posting as it is great to hear about all that you are doing. Enjoy your time. Love you lots,
    Aunt Steph

    ReplyDelete