Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Temple Open House

Friday I got to go to the Brigham City Temple open house. Whenever there is a new temple is built it gets opened up to the public for tours for a few weeks. After it is dedicated only church members holding recommends can go inside (youth can get something called a limited use recommend which allows them to go inside only the baptistry to perform baptisms for the dead ). I'll actually get to see the dedication next Sunday in a special broadcast!  The open house was so beautiful. Each part of it was amazing; there were so many little details like decorations on the doorhandles and trim on the ceilings that each were beautiful and symbolic. The church has released some photos of the interior, but they don't really do it any justice. It was the most incredible place I've ever seen, and the cool thing is that I'll probably remember it when I go through the temple for the first time a few years from now. I've always wondered what it would be like on the inside, and I'm really glad that I know have a mental picture in my head to keep in mind as I'm preparing to go there. It was totally worth the drive and the long wait in line. I'm also really glad that I got to go with my friends Cecily and Jen. Cecily is in my stake back home and Jen was her roommate for the past two years and now she's my RA. They're both a few years older than me so they're preparing to go to the temple really soon. I love them, and they are both really great examples! I hope that two years from now I will be like them. I love that we can have a really serious conversation about the gospel, but then just a few minutes later we can be having a fun Shania Twain sing along. That's one of the things that I'm discovering is so great about BYU. Everyone around me understands the gospel and talks about it openly, my roommate and I have shared our favorite scriptures with each other, many of the professors start class with a prayer and often talk about doctrine (not just in religion class), and the students live the standards of the church. 













1 comment:

  1. Erica! What a beautiful experience, I love it. I remember how wonderful it was to be a part of the Boston Temple Open House many moons ago. :) What you have said about BYU and being able to talk openly about the gospel and still have fun is what I LOVED about going there too! It makes me happy to hear that you are having a wonderful spiritual experience while being educated at the finest university, there really is no better! I love you sweetie and have many fond memories of you in Primary and with your family. Sincerely, Sister Savage

    ReplyDelete