Monday, May 13, 2013

Showing Love by Works and Deeds

This week in my New Testament class we studied 1 John. One of the scriptures that really stood out to me is 1 John 3:17-18. It reads, “But whoso hath this world’s good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth”. This verse shows us how we, as Christians, are to act and become. We have a responsibility to love and care for our fellowman, and we show that love not just in word but also in deed. That is how we follow the example of Jesus Christ. He, during His earthly ministry, “went about doing good”. The Savior did not only say good and think good, but He did good. Likewise, we--as His followers--are also responsible for doing good to others. It is this desire to do good and become more like Jesus Christ that leads me to want to serve a mission. I feel there is no better way for me to show my love for others through deed than to bring them the message of the restored gospel. It is also a way for me to express my love to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and show my commitment to follow Them. I love the gospel. I know it is true, and it leads me to show my love for others by my works and deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment