Friday, April 5, 2013

willing to impart my own soul


Since I got my mission call a few weeks ago it has been hard to think about anything other than missionary work, so I am writing another New Testament blog about missionary work this week. In my class this week we covered 1 and 2 Thessalonians, which are Paul’s writings during his second missionary journey. 2 Thessalonians chapter 2 is probably my favorite chapter that I’ve read so far as part of my assignments for the class. I love the way that Paul writes about missionaries and their relationships to their converts. 2 Thessalonians 2:8 states “So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear unto us.” These missionaries were willing to give their own souls to those who they taught. They would not hold anything back, but they would do everything in their power to help these people they taught to find their Savior, even Jesus Christ. My religion professor explained that being willing to ‘impart your own soul’ is what distinguishes a good missionary from a great one. I think that the only way one can be willing to give their own soul on the behalf of another is through love. After all, isn’t that what our Savior gave for each of us? He suffered bled and died on the cross for us—so that we may be redeemed from all of our imperfections and return to live with Him. Why did Christ do that for us? Why was He willing to impart His own soul? Simply because he loves us. I know that because He loves me He gave His own soul so that I may someday have a chance to live with Him in an exalted state . As I strive to become more like Jesus I can think of now better way to emulate Him than to give my own soul to someone else. I know that it will require love. As I missionary I want to do my best to love everyone I teach with all my heart, even my own soul, so that they may have the opportunity to live eternally with God and Jesus Christ. I want to show God that I am willing to give my own soul to His cause, and I am willing give my own soul to His work because I love Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment